Search This Blog

Saturday 24 April 2010

It's the first....well, the 19th actually....I'll explain!

Today was the XIX (which means 19th) Annual Synod of the Anglican Catholic Church Diocese of the United Kingdom. But for me it was my first Synod with the ACC, in fact it was my first Synod...full stop!

It was held at Central Hall, Westminster (by kind permission), and I have to say that I thought that it was a great venue. When you enter the main entrance to Central Hall you are met by a rather impressive lobby/foyer area.

I arrived shortly after 9.30am and found two of our clergy in the aforementioned foyer area. They introduced themselves as Father Charles Johnson and Father Deacon Michael Clothier. It was the first time that I had met either of them, so it was good to be able to link faces with names. As Father Johnson is more senior in terms of rank and years I offered to carry his bags to the area where they were to vest later, and we all headed through the chapel and down the stairs to the Broadbent Room, which served as both vestry and the meeting room for the Synod slightly later.

A few others arrived, and so did the Bishop, Roy, Margaret and Laurence. A few of us helped to unload the car, which was somewhat packed to say the least! It was then a case of starting to set up the chapel, which included making some adjustments to the altar rails and moving some chairs. The altar was prepared, after several of us cast our eye upon it, trying to ensure that it was level.

I wnet back down to the Broadbent Room to see what else I could do and there I found Father Michael trying to gain access to his padlocked suitcase. The key had snapped in the lock, so there was a problem. Someone was sent to hunt for either a pair of pliers or a screwdriver, when I thought that I would try something. I took two coins from my pocket and created a kind of pincer, then after 2 or 3 attempts I managed to extract the broken piece of the key, much to Father Michael's relief as he actually had a spare key. Thus, he managed to open the case.

I went back up to the chapel and helped Margaret and Laurence put the gift aid envelopes in the order of service booklets. All this time more people were arriving and the choir were practicing, which sounded rather good! Roy then collared me, and gave me his camera...I therefore became chief photographer...hopefully the photos which I managed to take are ok.

Before mass, Pauline Clothier, wife of Father Deacon Michael Clothier, was received into the ACC.

Also the service today included the ordination of (now) Father Deacon Howard Marsh. It was an honour of mine to be able such a service, and I wish Father Howard every best wish for the future.

After mass we broke for lunch.

After lunch it was time for the Synod.

Various things happened during the Synod, which mainly included listening, proposing, seconding and voting. I think the most notable thing was the acceptance of the Canons for the Diocese of the United Kingdom. These have been being prepared, revised, etc for quite some time, and much thanks must be expressed to Father Raymond Thompson for his hard work in this area. I'm sure that he will be relieved that they have been approved...I think the Bishop (and many others) are certainly relieved!!!

There were a couple of elections. Roy and Richard Mann volunteered to serve on the Council of Advice. I was tempted to volunteer, but thought that I might be too unskilled in church business to be of use, and as there were 2 volunteers and 2 posts then that problem was solved. They now have to decide between them as to who will serve the 3 year period and who will serve the 2 year period. One of these vacancies was created by the fact that Father Howard has been ordained, as he previously served in the House of Laity. Upon ordaination he can no longer serve in this House, instead becoming a member of the House of Clergy.

Various officers were appointed by the Bishop, and I believe that these were all the same as last year.

During the Synod Bishop Damien presented 'The Bishops Award for Exemplary Lay Service to the Church'. This year's receipiant was Mrs Pat Johnson, wife of Father Charles Johnson.

After much discussion with regard to proposed dates for CoA (Council of Advice) meetings and the date for Synod next year, this year's Synod was brought to a close.

It was then time to pack away, and help load the car. Once this was done we said our goodbyes, and I headed off to the train station whilst the Bishop, Roy, Margaret and Laurence drove off into the sunset....well, Canterbury...and it wasn't the sunset, as the sun was still shining!!

All in all it was a most enjoyable day, and I am really pleased to have been able to play a little part in the future of our church. It may have been my first Synod, but I have no doubt that it will not be my last!

I will not be at church tomorrow as my father-in-law is due to come out of hospital, and so I will be duty chauffeur. I will be back on Wednesday though.

Until then..................

1 comment:

  1. Dear Richard
    Thank you for your help today ... you were invaluable. We'll miss you tomorrow (actually seeing the time later today) but hope all goes well with John.
    Some of the photos you took of Synod have appeared on the Diocesan Web site's news page.
    +DM

    ReplyDelete