Search This Blog

Thursday 18 February 2010

Lent is here!

This is my blog update for Wednesday...and yes, I do know that today is actually Thursday!

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which is the start of Lent. That means that we are now in the preperation period for Easter. Easter does not just mean that it is the time when we get to eat Easter eggs...there is a far more important meaning behind it, and that is that Christ gave his life for us all, and on Easter Day he rose from the dead.

The whole Lent period is the lead up to this important event, and as Christians we 'travel' with Christ throughout Lent on his journey leading up to his crucifixtion on Good Friday.

Lent is quite a sombre time, it is very much a time for thought, for prayer and for contemplation. It really is a great time to re-evaluate ourselves, both as individuals and as Christians, and it is also an ideal time to reaffirm our commitment to God. Remember one of my previous blogs? It is never to late to join the race with the aim of receiving the ultimate prize.

Yesterday I went to church, and as it was Ash Wednesday we had the sign of the cross marked on our heads with ashes. These ashes are obtained by the burning of the crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday. They are blessed prior to being used on people. This is a very symbolic act, and also leaves a very visible sign of the cross on your forehead....I think Bishop Damien got a little carried away when doing mine!

On Sunday my membership/confirmation classes will be starting, we have no idea how they will pan out, but I am sure that they will be interesting. I'm counting down the days to my confirmation now, which will be on Easter Day.

Roy was acting as Altar Server yesterday, so thankfully was not sitting near me with the bells as he was last Sunday!! He seems to be well on the road to recovery following his operation, he was certainly looking better in himself.

Well, that's about all for now....I'll try and post again on Sunday evening, rather than Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment