Search This Blog

Thursday 3 June 2010

Open all hours....well, not ALL hours....and not quite open yet!

It's been an eventful week so far. I officially started work for Canterbury Church Shop (which is another company that has been established by the Bishop Damien, Roy and their co-director Greg).

Tuesday was a fairly relaxed day, they are probably just trying to break in in gently. The Bishop and I went through some of the stock which has been purchased for the shop so far, and started looking at comparisons with what other chucrh supply companies stock and charge. I was also introduced to the staff who work for their other companies based in Lydd. This was partly so that I can feel part of a bigger 'family' and also so that they know me, as I will be, from time to time, in those offices using the facilities, so it is important that they don't think that I'm a stranger who has just walked in from the street and started to use the photocopier!

Yesterday was Wednesday, and we met at just after 11am in Canterbury, at church. The Bishop also expanded my role yesterday and appointed me as the church sacristan. A sacristan is responsible for the sacristy, the sacred vessels, etc. Duties range from dressing the chalice to changing candles, with everything in between! Obviously I'm having to be trained in this role, but, of course, liturgical training is essential for my future, and so it makes good sense to do it this way.

After mass we had lunch and then visited a few shops in Canterbury....checking out the competition!

Today is Corpus Christi, and because of this mass was held today at church. So we met at church again today. Mass was followed by Benediction of the Holy Sacrament. This was then followed by the usual tea, coffee and biscuits. I had a shorter work day today as the Bishop and Roy had to make an early escape from Canterbury, and so let me go home!

With regard to the progress of the shop, we have just agreed a temporary lease whilst the solicitors carry on doing their slow soliciting thing with respect to the longer term lease and all of it's small print. Hopefully we can get the keys on Sunday from our landlord, and then on Monday we can start by decorating the shop in order to get it ready for the shop fittings, etc. It all seems to be coming together now....it's all rather exciting! So work proper starts on Monday it would seem!

I'm in Lydd again tomorrow, I think that we are going to establish our final suppliers list and start preparing more orders, etc.

I'll try and post again on Sunday, but you know me!!!

Until then......whenever that may be...........

No comments:

Post a Comment