Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 January 2010

Can someone turn the heating up!

It's Wednesday and I'm updating my blog....no, I'm not late again, it has been planned this way!

Last Sunday there was no mass in Canterbury as the Bishop was on his travels. He was visiting our new mission is South Molton, Devon (the Mission of St. Benedict). It was the inaugural mass there, which, I am told, went very well and was a great success. I hope (and pray) that the mission continues to go from strength to strength.

So, instead of attending church last Sunday I read through the Order for Mass booklet at home, said some prayers and spent the whole day with my wife and kids. I've realised now that not only do I go to church on Sundays to worship God....I actually go so that I can have a rest!! My little girl is 14 months old....and believe me, she is hard work (must get that from her mother)!!

I am now off of work on Wednesdays, at least most of them anyway. This enables me to do a couple of things. One is to attend church and the other is to concentrate a little more on my studies, you may remember that I am doing an Open Bible Institute course.

This morning I decided to get my hair cut before catching the train to Canterbury. When I left home this morning I quickly realised that it was somewhat cold outside, luckily I remembered to take my hat with me, otherwise I think that my head would have frozen and fallen off on the walk from the barbers to the station. Once at the station I had a short wait for the train so I popped into the Pumpkin Cafe and decided that a cup of hot tea was desired. These food outlets at train stations are overpriced, so it does pay to have a 'Bite Card', it gives you a 20% discount which helps. You can get one for free by visiting www.bitecard.co.uk

The train arrived on time and I was pleased to find that it was warm when my cup of tea and I boarded. The journey to Canterbury was uneventful as usual. On arrival at Canterbury and alighting from the train I was quite disappointed to find out that I was not actually in the Maldives, it would appear that the train had been diverted to the Artic....in other words....it was cold!

I was rather early so I had a little walk around the city centre before admitting defeat and needing to find some warmth, so I headed to church. Luckily when I arrived Lawrence and Margaret were there. Margaret was arranging some fresh flowers and Lawrence was about to start hoovering. It wasn't much warmer inside, but then churches are not known for their central heating are they?! The problem is it would be far too costly to have the heating on constantly, so it only gets switched on when people are there. The Bishop did mention the possibility of getting a special timer at some stage in the future, which would help, and of course solve this age old problem of cold churches! maybe this is why churches really use candles....for the extra heat!!

In today's service Bishop Damien used the 1549 BCP Canon and not the Gregorian Canon, this was mentioned after mass during coffee. Normally the Bishop uses the Gregorian Canon and so this was a change that seemed to go well.

Bishop Damien invited me to have lunch with him today after mass and we went to an Italian restaurant in Best Lane (a few doors from the church). The restaurant is called Olive Grove, their website is www.olivegroverestaurant.co.uk It is very pleasant inside and the staff are very friendly. Being neighbours of the church they know Bishop Damien quite well, and they were most welcoming to us both. We both had the Frittata Tricolore (3 egg omlette with ham, mozzarella, mushrooms and tomato), served with chips and salad garnish. I have to say that it was very nice. I will be back, and I'd even like to take Debbie there for a meal, perhaps after church one day....I will get her through the door somehow, even with the promise of a nice meal!! I'm a bit partial to pizza, so I may try one of those next time.

We had a general chat over lunch, which was enjoyable. After lunch we popped back into the church as the Bishop needed to get a book that he has lent me. It is the Peoples Anglican Missal.

After this I headed back to the station and awaited my (delayed) train back to Ashford. Debbie and the kids met me at Ashford station and we then went to do some shopping at Tesco. My wife is clever like that. By waiting for me to return before going shopping means that we will pay using my money rather than her's....I fall for it every time!

That's about it for now, church again on Sunday, so I'll post again after that.

Until then....turn up the thermostat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment