Search This Blog

Sunday 10 January 2010

Let it snow!

We have had a fair bit of snow in Ashford and the surrounding areas over the last few days, however, the "significant snowfall" predicted for last night didn't happen, although mid afternoon it wasn't looking like we'd be getting away with it!

I was all prepared though. Normally I get the train from Ashford to Canterbury to go to church. Deb (my wife) usually drops me at the station and off I go on my merry way. It is easier and quicker than driving to Canterbury, and probably cheaper by the time I would have forked out for fuel and parking. I even purchased a Network Railcard, so I now get 1/3 off of my fare, making it just £4.05 return...bargain!

This morning I drove to the station with a plan. parking at Ashford on a Sunday is free so if Plan A went ahead then it would not cost me anything. This was Plan A - Drive to station, park car, catch 10.03 train to Canterbury...if 10.03 cancelled then catch 10.22 (high speed), if that one was cancelled then go for 10.30, if that was cancelled then walk back to the car and launch Plan B....drive to Canterbury! The 10.03 service was initially showing as running on time, but by the time I purchased my ticket and walked to platform 5 it was showing as being 12 minutes late. It duly arrived 12 minutes late...but on platform 6...with no platform alteration announcement.

There was a message on one of their displays that made me laugh though. It said that due to the adverse weather the replacement bus service had been cancelled and trains were operating instead! So the buses that were replacing the trains were being replaced by trains...work that out if you can!!

Anyway, the train left (late) with me onboard bound for Canterbury, and arrived without event. I think that under the circumstances of the last few days Southeastern Railway have done a pretty good job coping, the high speed service has really been a bonus as it has been relatively unaffected by the adverse weather.

I arrived at church ontime (unlike last week) and service there was running to time with no disruptions....well, if you exclude Jennifer's losing of her voice mid song from that statement! It is horrible when that happens, I remember it happening to me during a job interview once, you can tell it is about to go, but no drink on hand to aid recovery! Jennifer soon recovered....and in case you are wondering...yed...I did get the job!!!!

Today's sermon was basically about putting God first, ahead of all else, and in turn God will ensure that He puts our needs/concerns/etc first...kind of makes sense actually. the parish newsletter this week talks about beng called to serve God in one way or another, even though we may feel that we are not the most approriate person to serve Him....reading this was like looking in a mirror to me....I wonder if Bishop Damien has been reading my mind!

I really feel that I am fitting in at church now, and it feels normal and 'right' to be there....in fact I actually look forward to going now....although Debbie still can't fully understand or appreciate my feelings and commitment. I think it makes it a little difficult as I work six days a week and Sunday is my only day off, so it used to be the 'family day', now some of the day is spent with my commitment to church...it goes back to today's sermon. Of course Debbie and the kids are more than welcome to come to church with me....and YES....I am working on it! She has actually said that she will come to my confirmation (whenever that is), so this may be the start. It would be difficult as we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old aswell....the 4 year old is probably autistic, so he can be a little 'moody' at times and the 1 year old is loud, independent and opinionated....just like her mother then!!! I know, however, that they would be more than welcome despite the disruptions that would more than likely be caused....probably starting with the youngest eating the Order for Mass (she is a little partial to eating paper, her favourite is actually the Argos catalogue)!!

Oh well, it's time that I got some sleep. Got to say a prayer or two before I get my head down as I have got to be up early for work...stay safe and stay warm in this cold weather, spare a thought for those less fortunate than ourselves and why not check on your neighbours, especially elderly and less able ones, make sure that they are ok in this weather.

Bye for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment