Search This Blog

Thursday 7 January 2010

Better late than never!

I'm a bit late blogging here this week....should have done it on Sunday, but was late home then kept meaning to do it the last couple of days, but something else seemed to keep coming up.

Talking of being late, I was a bit late for mass on Sunday, thanks to Southeastern trains and their....shall we say 'flexible' approach to their published timetable! When I finally arrived the service was in full swing, instead of walking away though and making some excuse for not attending I opened the door, walked right in and sat down. I think this actually made a good impression. I actually arrived just before communion, so timing was quite good!

I had placed an order for some books through the Anglican Catholic bookshop, and these were available for me to collect after the service. I ordered my own copy of Archbishop Haverland's book, a copy of the Order for Mass and a copy of the Ordo-Kalender for 2010 (and yes, that is the correct spelling of Kalender!!!!). Bishop Mead also threw in a copy of the ACC Canons (2005 edition)...these are the laws, or rules and regulations for the church, etc. It is more of a reference book than a sit down with a coffee read, but I am sure that it will be of use.

After church today I met up with my wife and kids who were shopping in Canterbury, so we had a wander for a while and then went for lunch in Wetherspoons, as I wasn't driving I had a couple of beers aswell....a pint of Churchyard Bob and a pint of Abbott Ale.....seems appropriate!!

Bishop Damien told me about a course which is approved by the ACC's Board of Ministry, it is a Certificate of Higher Education in Theology & Biblical Studies. It is studied through the Open Bible Institute (who operate distance learning courses on behalf of Moore Theological College, Sydney, who are a very well respected body). The CertHE is validated by Middlesex University, so all in all it appears to be a very good and genuine course.

After looking into this course I established that it would be a great way to develop my theological studies and knowledge, and after speaking with the OBI I decided to enroll on their 'access' course....Introduction to the Bible. Their were two options for this. Pay £30 and receive the course manual, etc....or pay £60 and receive this plus a bundle of additional books. I opted for this, and it arrived yesterday (the very next day).

I've had a brief look through it and it seems well laid out, but not a walk in the park. I have had to purchase a bible dictionary, so when that arrives from amazon.co.uk I will be able to start my studies. I have opted to take the exam at the next sitting, so I think I get about 10 weeks to do the course. Bishop Damien has kindly agreed to act as my supervisor for this, as the exams are not taken at a college premises.

If anyone wants to take a look at the OBI they can be found here: http://www.open-bible-institute.org/

Changing the subject a little. I went back to Slimming World last night (first time since Christmas) and have only put on 1.5lbs....so I am well pleased with that. Since being with Slimming World (on and off for 2 years) I have lost about 5stone in total. I parked the car at about 19.10hrs and went back out to it about an hour later and it was covered in snow...as were most of the surrounding roads!! Personally I love the snow, so it was great to see.

We didn't seem to have any more overnight, but today we had a couple of heavy showers which made some of the roads interesting to say the least. As I sit writing this it is snowing again, so the roads and cars are covered again....maybe it will keep up then I can have a day off of work tomorrow....actually, thinking about that, I am self-employed, so no work means no money....oh well maybe I'll have to send the kids out sweeping chimneys (whilst they are still small!!!!)!

That's all for now....next update Sunday.....ok.....maybe a day or four afterwards!!

Oh, nearly forgot to mention that I've started reading the book that Bishop Damien gave me for Christmas....I am finding it VERY interesting and heart-warming, there is 'something' about it!

In the words of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh....TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment